Re: Print-ready Graphics Problem

Subject: Re: Print-ready Graphics Problem
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 06:50:17 -0700 (PDT)

I would guess this:

"The firm" reduced the size of the screen-capture
graphics by downsampling. On a Windows platform, a
screen capture is normally supplied a resolution hint
of 96 ppi. Yours have 92 *and* are 60% smaller than
the original. That can only happen if you delete
pixels from the image.

If you delete pixels from the image, the image loses
clarity, sharpness, etc.

What I recommend you do is to use the original screen
captures and reduce their size on the printed page by
increasing the resolution value. That is, a 96 ppi
image will appear larger in the text column than the
same image set to 120 ppi. 150 ppi will be even
smaller.

Setting the resolution in this manner does not delete
pixels.

Also, the best resolution really depends on the press
being used. Theoretically, you need to multiply the
linescreen of the press by the square-root of 2 to
determine the optimal resolution for rasters. But, you
could always test. For example, for 500x500-pixel
screen captures in one-color, I've found 120 ppi does
well from my 133 lpi press, even though 188 is
optimal.

So, try upping the resolution rather than deleting
pixels.

Cheers,

Sean

--- Dawson McKnight <dawsonmcknight123 -at- yahoo -dot- com>