Re: Grant Writing

Subject: Re: Grant Writing
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: cor -at- techwritercor -dot- com
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:25:27 -0500

I thought grant writing would be easy, so I volunteered for my children's schools for the grantwriting team. Talk about tough, sheesh, there were all these foundations to look up and figure out what type of grants they gave, what critieria they gave them under and how we qualified. In standard grant applications you need a budget, how the money will be spent and x number of pages of writing about your school, project, etc., trying to convince the powers that be that your grant is the most worthy.

I never understood why my girlfriend would get upset when she had to make phone calls to get information, but now I do. It takes time away from writing the grant and staying in that "zone" which is very different than writing copy, writing a book or techwriting.

In order to apply for a grant writing position you're going to have to have grant writing experience, not just a desire to do grant writing, but tangible experience. The grant writers I know all started out of college with English or Journalism degrees and got experience. In Minnesota my friends who freelance grant write make the same amount of money I do per hour.

Michele

cor -at- techwritercor -dot- com wrote:

Does anyone have experience with grant writing? I've seen a few jobs
around that pay pretty well that are grant writing jobs. I was just
wondering if anyone can give me some insight on a day in the life of a
grant writer. Is it boring/interesting? What kind of qualifications do
you need to be a grant writer? Thoughts? Thanks.