RE: Please explain this phrase

Subject: RE: Please explain this phrase
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com>, TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:56:20 -0400

"Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com> wrote on 08/22/2003 09:31:55 AM:
> Okay, I will place my head on the chopping block on this one. I am a
> little confused here, maybe because I have not had enough
> coffee this
> morning, but I always understood that "English" and
> "metric" were the
> same and that America uses the "Standard" system. Granted,

Want more confusion?
- Britain/UK is officially metric. Gasoline (petrol) is purchased by the
litre, but cars drive in MPH.
- Or the conundrum that the measurement standard is metric, but standard
measurement isn't. :)

With respect to "English" measurement:
- Imperial/British/UK (std) measurements are different from American (std)
measurements.
- The measurements mean different things if they are avoirdupois, Troy, or
apothecary's.
- Dry and liquid measures of the same name aren't the same.
- Many units have multiple meanings (electric, metric, UK, or 550 ft-lb/s
HP for example).
- Many units have multiple meanings depending on which field or specialty
they're being used in.

And people have the nerve to say decimal based metric system is
complicated..... :P

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer