Re: interview and ethics

Subject: Re: interview and ethics
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:48:18 -0700 (PDT)

"G. Abenhaim" wrote ...

> I personally think it is a disgrace to have employers like that out there. I
> was happy that I refused it. I guess it's true what they say that everyone
> is replaceable.
>
> Just my share on unethical way of doing things.

Let me see if I understand this...

They made you an offer. You made them a counteroffer. They rejected your
counteroffer. And they are unethical? How?

You could fault them for not communicating with you properly, but there was
nothing unethical in what you described. Nothing at all. Companies are not
obliged to just accept your offer. Just because you think you're worth X and a
salary survey says your worth X, doesn't mean employers are mandated by any law
or ethical standard to pay you X. They can offer you whatever they want. And
you can accept it, reject it, or make them a counteroffer. And likewise, the
company can accept or reject your counteroffer.

Furthermore, whenever I hear people say things like "what's 10K to the company,
nothing." That's easy to say when its not your money. Do you have 10K sitting
around that you can just hand to somebody?

While it may be true that some CEOs and executives take outlandish salaries,
that doesn't mean a company can just throw down an extra 10K to every
applicant. Companies can offer whatever they want for a job. You are not under
any requirement to accept that offer.

Furthermore, anytime you make a counteroffer on a job you run the risk of
having that offer rejected. I am sorry, but that is the way things work. If you
don't want to be rejected, then don't make counteroffers.

Lastly, when the economy goes to crap, like it is now, there is always a
downward pressure on salaries. I would argue that right now, tech writers are
getting an even higher downward pressure since there are a lot of laid off
techies and programmers who are willing to do tech writing work. Hence, the
skill set that most tech writers bring to the table are being devalued next to
the tech skills.

Andrew Plato

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com