RE: interview and ethics

Subject: RE: interview and ethics
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: 'Bonnie Granat' <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:55:35 -0400

Bonnie...not being strong and able to get strong, and not knowing how to do
something and knowing you never will are two different things.

Many times, I'm not as strong on some items on the shopping list as I am on
others. Yet I know that either my ability at reduced level is more than
they'll find by those who claim expertise, or I know that by the time it
counts, I'll be up to it, so why push the negative.

Example: A tech writer job may ask for expertise in SQL, MSMQ, ADO, SOAP,
and XML. of the five, I may be the weakest in ADO, but it's only because
relative to the others, I'm not as strong.

Knowing that, why would I say "I'm not as strong on ADO as the rest.?
Instead, I might say "I'm strong enough on all of them, some more than
others."

You work hard to develop the ability to get up to speed quickly...why
eliminate your chance to prove it?

John Posada
Information Hunter-Gatherer
Special Projects; Information Technology
Barnes&Noble.com