re: Do you voluntarily develop long-term projects on the job?

Subject: re: Do you voluntarily develop long-term projects on the job?
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 07:01:43 -0700 (PDT)

john "da man" posada asks:
Does anyone [work on long term projects]? If so, do you tell anyone or do you surprise them with this?
The only projects that I've done were with templates and writing proposals for a variety of things. I've also spent some time writing Javascripts to improve our help system. I did all of these as time permitted and I usually just started working without telling anyone.

If you've done this, what has been the reaction of your management. Do
they like this/ Do they mind not having been informed every step? This is the third time I'm doing something like this here and my manager loves it.
from "don't waste your time on this" to "good idea but not feasible" to "hey that's a cool idea". Now, at a previous job, I never would have done this because management would have viewed it as being upity or a real threat to them. So, I would think how management reacts to your inititive would depend on who's in management at your workplace.

But what I want to know, John, is why YOU are asking this question. I mean, you're like initiative guy! You should be a master at this sort of thing by now and should be giving advice to us! :-)

"This is either madness or brilliant."
"It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide." -- Will Turner & Captain Jack Sparrow
Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com