RE: Do you voluntarily develop long-term projects on the job?

Subject: RE: Do you voluntarily develop long-term projects on the job?
From: "Daniel Fisher" <Daniel -dot- Fisher -at- metro1 -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:11:48 -0700

>Bill Swallow said: I publicly plan all that I do. Why? So I don't burn
time on something that:

1. They don't want me doing.
2. Someone already knows how to do.
3. Might already be on someone's radar.
4. Is seen as a nice to have but not until time permits.

--

I totally agree with Bill and practice it to the T. Through out my 11
years of technical writing, I've learned management would much rather be

Currently, although I have a good understanding of what our business
needs, my boss has a more thorough knowledge and it's really his job to
ensure I have my priorities straight. Since our business priorities can
change fairly quickly, I keep him up to date when anything major
changes. For example, if another department wants a hot document
quickly, I let him know right away. Not telling him and using even
several hours of time on an unapproved project when there are so many
"approved" things to do is going around the chain of command.

Granted, I have a very good relationship with my boss and we see eye to
eye. He wants to be in tune with what we (the technical writers) do.
I've been lucky enough to have good boss's throughout my career and so I
don't know anything different. So far communicating like this has been
very rewarding for me.

Cheers,

-Daniel W. Fisher
Senior Technical Writer