Re: Potential Client/Need Advise

Subject: Re: Potential Client/Need Advise
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:19:58 -0600

Yes, it's an odd conversation. There seems to be something missing: Its
point.

The whole tone of her questioning was off-putting. I'm often in a
particular location where people - perfect strangers - ask me questions.
Usually it's quite enjoyable answering them. But occasionally I get
grilled, and there is a distinct difference between a friendly conversation,
in which questions are asked and answered, and a grilling. This person was
grilling you.

You tell us, "But I'm thinking working with her is going to suck given that
conversation."

Where in this conversation does she mention working for her/with her? One
might assume that if someone asks for writing samples and hourly rates that
there is some sort of potential job in the offing. What is it? Did this
ever come up?

During a conversation like this you have to start asking her questions. Why
does she want to know this? Why does she want writing samples? Does she
need a writer - and if so, for what?

If you didn't inquire about her point you simply allowed this semi-stranger
to know many details of your personal business for no apparent reason. If
the details of a job were mentioned - hopefully as a set-up to the whole
conversation, then her tone is still a bit off-putting. Either way, you
might want to reconsider having much to do with this person.

The fact that you were crabby at the end is a telling sign. You were
bullied. Don't work for a bully.

Paul Strasser
Windsor Technologies, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 200
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-926-1982
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com