Re: Is being technical writer boring

Subject: Re: Is being technical writer boring
From: jenny_berger -at- fairfieldresidential -dot- com
To: louise -at- poptel -dot- net
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:42:06 -0500

If you often find yourself with little to do in your sysadmin job, then I
would ask: Is there anything at your current job that you can document
during your downtime? A good way to get a better idea if tech writing is
for you is to start doing it -- first, at your current job, to get your
portfolio going and some experience. If being a sysadmin who can write
still isn't where you want to be, then consider looking elsewhere.

But don't look elsewhere until you've exhausted the possibilities where
you are.

Jenny Berger
Technical Writer
Information Systems
Fairfield Residential

louise -at- poptel -dot- net
Sent by: bounce-techwr-l-115343 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
09/03/2003 11:32 AM
Please respond to louise

To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
cc:

It`s not so much me wanting to get out of sys admin work - I really enjoy
doing the job. I`ve just returned to work after having a baby and the
company I work for has changed massively resulting in me (and my fellow
sys admins) having very little to do - now that IS boring! I`ve been
looking for another job doing sys admin work, but feel after four years in
this field I need a change. The other thing that appeals massively to me
is that I will finally get to use the writing skills I learnt studying for
my, up until now, completely uselss arts degree.

I`ve done some research and there is a Postgraduate course in Sheffield or
I could do a City and Guilds (I live in the UK) which seems to be the
recommended route, but if anybody has any other advice I would be
grateful.