Re: Is being technical writer boring

Subject: Re: Is being technical writer boring
From: louise -at- poptel -dot- net
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:32:23 -0600

Many thanks for all your replies - you have all been extremely informative
and have given me a great overview of what the job entails.

To be honest, I wasn`t even aware of the role until Monday when I saw a
job advertised for a technical author. When I read the spec it sounded
really interesting and, feeling I had nothing to lose, I applied. As it
happened you needed knowledge of the finance industry which I don`t have
so I got turned down but it planted the seed.

It`s not so much me wanting to get out of sys admin work - I really enjoy
doing the job. I`ve just returned to work after having a baby and the
company I work for has changed massively resulting in me (and my fellow
sys admins) having very little to do - now that IS boring! I`ve been
looking for another job doing sys admin work, but feel after four years in
this field I need a change. The other thing that appeals massively to me
is that I will finally get to use the writing skills I learnt studying for
my, up until now, completely uselss arts degree.

I`ve done some research and there is a Postgraduate course in Sheffield or
I could do a City and Guilds (I live in the UK) which seems to be the
recommended route, but if anybody has any other advice I would be
grateful.

Thanks again,
Louise