Is being technical writer boring

Subject: Is being technical writer boring
From: louise -at- poptel -dot- net
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 06:18:09 -0600

Sorry if this has been discussed earlier - I did do a search and couldn`t
find anything! :-)

Currently working as a Microsoft systems administrator, I have been
seriously considering a change of direction and becoming a technical
writer. The response I get when I tell people my plan isn`t very
encouraging. The words 'boring' and 'dull' feature heavily in their
response, so what I really want to know is 'is technical writing
boring??'.

Some people would consider being a sys admin dull, I`m sure - and believe
me there are days when I feel like repeatedly banging my head against my
desk, but I don`t want to enter a profession that is going to bore me
stupid from day one. From a personal point of view all my research into
technical writing has left me really wanting to do it (and I know there
will be some dull and boring aspects of the work as in any job), but I
want some advice from those already employed in this area before I
seriously do anything about it.

Many thanks for the advice,
Louise