Re: Ford and the Economy (RE: India - wave of the future?)

Subject: Re: Ford and the Economy (RE: India - wave of the future?)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techpubs -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 17:27:22 -0700

I suspect there was a certain amount of marketing at work there, because up
until then automobiles were considered the playthings of the rich and affluent.
It was essential to the growth of volume for the automobile to appear reachable
by the "common working man," not only for sales, but to encourage public support
for taxpayer funded infrastructure like paved roads, which were essential for
the growth of the automobile but hardly needed by horses and people walking
or riding trolleys. For Ford's own "common working men" to not be able to
afford a Ford would have undercut that entire marketing strategy.

Gene Kim-Eng