Job Market

Subject: Job Market
From: "G. Abenhaim" <g -dot- abenhaim -at- nhc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 11:12:36 -0400

"I was wondering if anyone else who may have been between jobs like me
noticed the same practice, or even if you were working knew about this
or something similar. To add to the frustration, I was told by more than
one company, that I was qualified and they would be happy to offer me an
interview, if I were living there, but I was not in a position to
relocate anywhere without having a job waiting for me at the end of the
line."

Hi Oja,

With my experience, Ive learned that companies always want to save money. In
my situation, when I was working for Ericsson , I got transfered to Sweden
for 6 months to start a new project that will later come into America. This
confused me at first since hiring "one of their own" is alot cheaper
according to me. It turns out that sending me (a Canadian) down to Sweden,
paying my flight, my apartment and my food was a lot cheaper for Ercisson
than hiring a Swede that lived there.

I dont think it has anything with "exchange" per say but more with saving
money. A Swede can take that as confrontational when half of the employees
are expatriates from Canada or Latin America thus taking Swedish jobs when
we didnt even know the language. We were more than a few who transfered
there fro new projects. We all knew each other due to the fact that no one
spoke Swedish ...funny when I think about it.

Let me tell you that the grass is NOT greener on the other side. Jobs
anwywhere in the world are not exactly what you think they are or what
thell you it will be. I was mislead may times by my superiors when My
Canadian bosses made mistakes with the Swedish bosses when taking care of my
transfer (budget and propriety conflicts). Who decides for who. You get the
end of the rope when all decisions are made for you in some stupid board
meeting. You are stuck in the middle like a little puppet..It is not fun at
all. Once you get passed that, you miss home d everything else in not in
yoru hands. I hope I make sens.

/Grace