Re: Job Market OT

Subject: Re: Job Market OT
From: "tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com" <tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com>
To: w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 10:15:36 -0400 (EDT)

Andrew Plato Wrote:

>When a company does hire an H_1b , they do so because they need a

special

>skill set and such skills are not readily available in the local

market.

I must point out Andrew, that that is the "intent" of the H1b and L1 Visa programs but that is NOT the case in reality. Here where I work is a prime example. As I pointed out in my previous post, they have hired an Indian company that is bringing Indian writers over,training them and paying them half what we get. There were no requests (internal or external) asking for Tech Writers on the local market. I for one know of several I would have recommended. There are others doing the same (WashTech.com shows some examples).

That is the point of all this. These companies are abusing the system to save money and slowly moving the American workers out.

The solution would be to have the people who are hired from these companies, legal or not, demand wages equal to their American counterparts. Or, and much more likely not to happen, expose and prosecute these companies for abusing the system. I don't see that happening either.