Re: India - Wave of the Future - Evolve?

Subject: Re: India - Wave of the Future - Evolve?
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:55:53 -0700 (PDT)

> But, by what justification should a hospital need to
> pay a cardiothoracic
> experienced nurse 45$/hr to change bedpans or take
> temperatures or blood
> pressures?

That's not what I'm saying. These low-experience
nurses are replacing some of the more experienced ones
and are expected to take up the same responsibilities.
It's really quite scary when you think about it.

> While the story of a patient being killed is
> horrific, it shows a failure
> in the processes/controls/management applied to the
> assistant nurses.

Right. But, wind whistles through the heads of those
you need to educate (and I am not talking about the
nurses, rather the administration).

> If
> there was negligence/incompetence on the part of the
> "underqualified"
> worker, then they should be reprimanded and possibly
> prosecuted. But
> first, it is the responsibility of hospital
> administration and possibly
> the supervising nurses to show that the employee was
> properly instructed/managed/supervised.

The politics involved would make your head spin. These
hospitals have better spin doctors than the US
president!

> Same goes for techwriting. By what justification can
> a professional
> techwriter claim that a company must pay 50$+/hr for
> data entry or re-formatting?

Right, and they don't.

> If you can identify which tasks can be done by
> anyone, or by judicious
> planning/management increase the number of tasks
> that can be done by
> anyone, the skills of qualified techwriters can be
> put to better use.

Unless the executives are seeing red...

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com