Re: Giving credit...

Subject: Re: Giving credit...
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 14:15:21 -0700 (PDT)

> Have any of you ever done something like this and
> what was the reaction?

Have I ever given credit to someone who went out of
their way to help me or another out?
Abso-effin-lutely!

Why wouldn't you?

Or do you mean in the documentation you gave a "kudos
to John Smith for being a kick-ass help on this..."
type of credit?

For internal docs, I credit everyone with their
involvement. In external docs, all names and
accomplishments outside the "what's new in the
product" are avoided.

Why?

"Hello. Is this XYZ corp? Can I speak to Mr. John
Smith? Thanks, I'll hold while you transfer me... Uh,
hi! John Smith? This is Lonnie Leach from ABC Inc. I
bought your company's product and it says you
developed a script that does X. Can you tell me what
that script was or e-mail me it so I can implement the
same here?"

And don't say it doesn't happen. Hell, not a week goes
by without me receiving a call or e-mail (or three)
about one of my posts (not necessarily here) asking
for direction or suggestions, or even with consulting
offers for the amazing rate of $20/hr.

And yes, I've seen it happen as a result of crediting
in a book as well.

A pat on the back and some corporately vocal kudos is
quite appropriate and all that's really needed. The
whole world doesn't need (or want) to know that John
Smith is a cool dood for writing a 250 line script for you.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com