Definitions: publications vs. documentation

Subject: Definitions: publications vs. documentation
From: techwhrl -at- helpinghand -dot- mailshell -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 17:54:37 -0500

Is there a generally accepted distinction between "publications" and "documentation" in a software development environment, or are the terms considered to be synonymous? I am thinking of user's guides, programmer's guides, quick start guides, etc. JoAnn Hackos uses "publications" throughout her "Managing Your Documentation Projects" book, but software project managers in my company seem to be more familiar with the term "documentation."

Thanks for your input.

Star Ferdinand
Harcourt