Re: Definitions: publications vs. documentation

Subject: Re: Definitions: publications vs. documentation
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:23:16 -0400

<techwhrl -at- helpinghand -dot- mailshell -dot- com> wrote in message
news:212223 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-
> Is there a generally accepted distinction between "publications" and
> "documentation" in a software development environment, or are the
> terms considered to be synonymous?

Great question. I don't know if there is an answer, but in my mind
"documentation" implies you are developing content, while "publications"
means all the activities that support publishing content, including copy
editing, formatting and layout, printing - everything but content
development. Although I'm sure the terms are used otherwise in different
workplaces.

Documentation may also be a term more specific to the computer industry,
while publications is more general term from the broader general publishing
industry.

Mike O>