RE: To FAQ or not to FAQ?

Subject: RE: To FAQ or not to FAQ?
From: "Gary S. Callison" <huey -at- interaccess -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:42:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com wrote:
> It may look like I already have my mind made up that the FAQs
> should stay with Customer Support, and that I should stay with
> my more formal documents, and any support that you folks supply
> will be gratefully accepted. However, I know the variety of
> points of view that are represented here, and there may well
> be some good reasons to do it differently, as well as ways to
> minimize the possible disadvantage(s).

Something else to consider: the customer support people will love you to
death if you get their 'Top-10 call-generating issues' knocked down with
every manual revision, by putting them in the "Before You Call Tech
Support, Try This Stuff First" section. A certain percentage of the users
won't read the manual, but every manual revision, you can help solve some
of those calls by answering their questions pre-emptively, even if the
information doesn't exactly match the helpdesk script. So you should
definitely take their stuff as constructive criticism on things that the
readers of your manual didn't quite 'get' the first time 'round.

> How many people say FAQ as "a FAK", and how many say it
> as "an efF Ay Qyoo"?? I have slid from the latter to the
> former, over the years. Sometimes I'll spell it out when
> speaking but, mostly, I or others will say "that sounds
> like a Fack to me".

The correct pronunciation of 'FAQ' can be heard if you rent 'Assassins'
<http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0112401/> and listen to Antonio Banderas'
character at the sniper scene towards the end.
"FACK! FACK! matherFACKer! FAAAAAACK!"

--
Huey ("I can't believe it's not butter either") Callison

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com