Re: Graphic design question

Subject: Re: Graphic design question
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:18:23 -0700 (PDT)

Perhaps I should explain that some printers have presses with six color capability. They can run paper through in various paths, so they can print six colors on one side with one pass, five colors on one side and one on the other, or as in this case four colors on one side and two on the other--all still with one pass through the press.

This is an extremely economical job to run because there is less waste and because the inks will moisten the paper slightly, causing dimensional changes. Thus, two-pass printing is not as accurate without very careful adjustments and quite a bit of waste as a general proposition.

While four-color process is the most common of the "full color" options, there are various others in use. A common six-color ink combination is called "hexachrome" and is able to attain some superior colors with a more subtle range than the traditional four-color. Also, various kinds of finish coatings can be applied by one or more of the print heads--so this flexibility is often extremely welcome.

Printing costs vary widely for the same job; printing is after all a manufacturing process, and one printer may be set up for a particular kind of production efficiently while another must take additional steps to do the same job. Thus, price quotes can be all over the map.

I hope some of you who entered the profession in the digital age may benefit from a glimpse of some of the considerations we must use when we go to print!

David

-----Original Message from Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>-----

It means a two-sided piece, with four-color graphics on the front
(process color, CMYK), and two-color graphics on the back (black and a
PMS spot color).

Michele Davis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Since at heart and experience I am still mostly a writer I am trying
> to figure out what this means:
>
> maybe four color over two
> It is for a design project, but I'm not sure what the client means. Oh
> dear. Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Cheers.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com