RE: Linux users' expectations of online help

Subject: RE: Linux users' expectations of online help
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:12:40 -0400

Sean Wheller [mailto:seanwhe -at- yahoo -dot- com] said:

[...]

> Will the Windows users information requirements remain
> the same? I think that they will. They are accustomed
> to having a much higher level of information. Not all,
> but a large part of the Linux documents are not
> explicit. they give you a hint and you often will
> search around to get the full picture. But Linux users
> don't mind. I'm not sure that Windows users will be so
> patient.

I think the above observation is true, as far as it goes.
You can, of course, take it two ways:

1) Windows users are a bunch of wusses that need spoon-feeding
all their lives, and who get into a snit if the the spoon
is not forthcoming

2) Windows users, who represent the bulk of the business users
of PCs, want their tools to be as transparent as possible.

In the first instance, we have made a fine (and possibly,
generally accurate) statement and it has allowed us to stop thinking.

In the second instance, we realize that patience is not a virtue
when applied to everyday working tools that are meant to help
users to *do the work they actually get paid for*, not get in the
way of that work. So if we look at it that way, we have a great,
big opportunity staring us in the face.

Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

/kevin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com