Re: Linux users' expectations of online help

Subject: Re: Linux users' expectations of online help
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:02:44 -0700 (PDT)

Sean,

<rant>Anyone who has had a 100+ page doc in Word format and had the page numbers change every time or two the doc was opened *knows* it's not WYSIWYG. Also, anyone who carefully checks printed copy against the on-screen representation *also* knows it isn't.

The argument generally is whether Word is "WYSIWYG enough"...and that is an argument I don't have time for, either.

However, I would still plump for a tool similar in approach to Lyx that would enable much more seamless authoring in XML while taking most technical writers *out* of the desktop publishing business most of the time while limiting their ability to screw around with the formatting much--and certainly not to override the styles when the notion seizes them! Validation would be automatic, as would most tagging, leaving the writer more time to compose, self edit, and to be sure of the facts and technology underlying the document in question.

Personally, I've spent a few hundred excess hours correcting other people's docs that had very poor templates to begin with and authors and maintainers without much of a clue after that! But then, that's just me!</rant>

David

The fact that Word is not 100% WYSIWYG is a hot and
tempered debate on a list like this. I don't want to
be the one who starts that war ... <sigh>again</sigh>.

Sean Wheller

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com