Re: documenting desktop to web application

Subject: Re: documenting desktop to web application
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:49:29 -0700 (PDT)

> This is exactly what you shouldn't do. Fat client
> design is different from
> thin client design. A Windows app is made of
> windows, dialog boxes, and
> menus, whereas a web app is made of pages, forms,
> and links. I have never
> seen a web app successfully migrate their windows
> and dialogs one-for-one to
> pages and forms. But I have seen lots of failed
> attempts to do so.

That's great, but what does any of this have to do
with functionality? You're talking about "user
experience". That is certainly *not* functionality.
It's a bell/whistle/smoke/mirror. You can design two
applications that look different and engage the user
in two completely different ways, and yet still have
the same functionality.

This is not a new concept. How about text vs. braile?
The two are different, yet function the same.

Text, in this context, is flat, without texture, and
consists of ink stains in the shape of lines and
curves on paper. A person scans it with their eyes to
"decode" a message.

Braile, in this context, is three-dimensional,
textured, and consists of bumps in various quantities
and configurations on paper. A person scans it with
their fingers to "decode" a message.

The functionality - relay a message to a reader - is
the same. The means in which this is done is
different.

So, a thin client app and a fat client app can both
perform the same function, but engage the user and
even use an environment or medium in different ways.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://shopping.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com