Re: Participating in the user interface

Subject: Re: Participating in the user interface
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:56:48 -0700 (PDT)

> Regarding the issue that's been discussed over the
> past few days about participating in the user
> interface -- I have always found it frustrating to
> try
> and speak up and contribute input because whenever I
> say "I think you should do Y instead of X," the
> developers always say, "Well, our policy has always
> been to do X." So what's the use?

Well, to be honest, if that's the case as you describe
it, you give up too easily. Actually, you give up
without a fight.

Why is it their policy? What benefits does the policy
support? What benefits are being ignored by following
the policy? Can the policy be changed? Should the
policy be changed? What kind of answer is "our policy
has always been..." anyway?

We must be completely different people. You see that
response as an off switch. I see it as a launch pad.

I've made many a friend by questioning blanket
nonsense answers like these, and all of them are
usually the people who have been blindly following
policy. Those upholding it sometimes see my point, and
other times they don't. But only rarely does anything
sour result. And when it does, if policy doesn't make
business sense and your suggestion does, guess who
wins?

It's all a matter of perspecti... no, a matter of
persever... nah... hmmm... it's all about being right
and having the good of the company in mind.

Sure, that sounds good enough. Bag it, tag it, sell it
to the butcher in the store.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://shopping.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com