Re: Question re: Website Design & Resizing Site to Fit Browser Window?

Subject: Re: Question re: Website Design & Resizing Site to Fit Browser Window?
From: David Tremblay <techwrit -at- mediom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 12:45:06 -0400

Bonnie Granat wrote:

For those items that must be restricted in
width, you can specify a maximum width in the CSS. For example, you can put
your graphics in a <div class="topmenu"> in your HTML, and your CSS can tell
the browser not to display the contents of the <div> any wider than, say, 6
ems.

I strongly advise you to go to the newsgroup, though.

When times come to website design in the 21th century, I think we should all go for tableless (or at least less table) design than we were used in the previous century.

Using CSS for display can give you ease of maintenance, lower bandwith usage and better accessibility. But I suppose, given the tools she is using (firework/dreamweaver) Sara Sue may not have the choice to use table design (oh! please don't insert spacer gifs they're terrible for screen readers). For those who are interested in the use of w3c standards and good practice, here I give some websites :

http://www.csszengarden.com/ (standards and tableless website can be cute also!!)
http://www.webstandards.org/ (advocay)
http://www.meyerweb.com/ (advocacy, tips and reference)
http://www.zeldman.com/ (great books about web standards)
http://www.alistapart.com/index.html (tips and tutorials)
http://devedge.netscape.com/central/strategy/ (advocay, tips and tutorials)
http://www.evolt.org/ (advocay, tips and tutorials)
http://www.accessify.com/default.asp (accessibility news and ressources)
http://www.cybercodeur.net/ (advocacy - french ressource)
http://www.openweb.eu.org/ (tutorials - french ressource)

And by the way, do you use webstandards (or do you care about) when doing online help?

David

“Mustang” (code name) is a NEW online publishing tool for FrameMaker that

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com