Re: eHelp's "Mustang" FM ==> HTML conversion tool

Subject: Re: eHelp's "Mustang" FM ==> HTML conversion tool
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:52:02 -0700 (PDT)

> Frankly, I believe that the method by which Frame
> combines the type definition with print rules (the
> "EDD" in Frame-speak) is at one time a strength
> (limits writers' ability to mess up the design *too*
> much, and makes dealing with structured writing
> easier to learn) and a weakness (too difficult to
> use arbitrary type definitions when a variety are
> needed in an organization).

I know your belief is wrong. ;) Use it, then critique
it. Just because it's structured does not mean it's
rigid.

> As Andrew points out, software is but a tool; we
> become too often attached to some long after they
> reach albatross status. In some ways, Frame is like
> that (although at the moment, I believe it is still
> often the best available tool for documentation
> use!).

Hey, I use the tool line all the time! And yeah, FM is
feeling its age, and I think you're right.

> Whether the long document prowess can transfer to
> the InDesign code base has yet to be seen, I
> believe. Given the tremendous transformation from
> versions 1.5 to 2.0 in the product, I am hesitatant
> to think it will not be feasible.

Anything's feasible. I just don't see the other side
of the market (ID's current target client base) really
wanting long, structured authoring capability.

> However, unless another product appears in the
> interim, I don't believe that Adobe will lose more
> clients from Frame *than they already are losing*
> (mostly to more XML-centered tools like Arbortext
> Epic, I believe). The largest difficulty will be in
> luring existing Frame customers to switch to
> InDesign.

Arbortext is an interesting beast, isn't it? I just
don't see as strong an ROI as they advertise. It's
very cool though, but frankly, it's no more or less
powerful than FM, just different.

> Without any pipelines into Adobe myself at the
> moment, I believe what is happening is that Frame
> being offshored is to serve several functions: to
> reduce costs in keeping the product updated while
> allowing their existing programmers inhouse to work
> on, among other things, the InDesign development.
> Since the existing folks understand the long
> document needs, this infusion of talent into the
> InDesign team (if, in fact, I am right--remember
> this is pure speculation on my part!) may hasten the
> transition.

Yes, had Adobe not laid off about 98% of the FM
developers, that'd be an excellent plan. ;)

> From what I have seen so far, if this is a correct
> speculation, the resulting product if successful
> could replace the need for most add-on products such
> as WWP or Mustang with little effort. Now *that*
> would be a value proposition that would be hard to
> beat in the marketplace, well beyond their present
> product selection.

Have you seen DocFrame? Or have you experimented with
XML output from FM? Really, there's no need for a 3rd
party tool for FM anymore, except that for most people
it makes their work life easier.

> Let us hope that Adobe is thinking along these
> lines--for Frame may continue to evolve while the
> efforts regarding InDesign are ongoing.

Possibly. Maybe not. I've no vested interest in any
tool looking longer out than 1 year (maybe 2). I just
use the ones that aid my work the best and move along
as needed.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://shopping.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com