Re: credibility (longish but IMO worth reading)

Subject: Re: credibility (longish but IMO worth reading)
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:38:24 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Goober Writer" <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>; "TECHWR-L"
Sent: October 10, 2003 01:12 PM

> > But how many will place something like this on the
> > *first content page* of one
> > of its journals?
> >
> > "It bothers me when the technical communication
> > profession gets ignored. [blah blah blah]
>
> Oh, excellent point! And that was from Technical
> Communication, the BIG deal publication from the STC,
> and not Intercom, the monthly magazine. Right?
>
> You know what *really* and *honestly* makes me ill?
>
> Complacency.
>
> Seeing people bitch and moan about how crappy things
> are and NOT DOING ANYTHING TO CHANGE IT.
>
> Sure, the easy argument is "there's nothing to be done
> to change it".
>
> My response to that? "Quitter."

I'm totally with you, Goober. I was sick to my stomach when I read that. (I'm
catching up on magazines). Whine, whine, whine!
This whining has *got* to be contributing to the whole problem. And so much of
what is written in STC deals with "proving our worth," "adding value," and so
on. It just really makes me sick to hear that mantra, which when translated,
says, "I have nothing better or more significant to say than that I am not
appreciated." If we are not appreciated, I see plenty of reasons why, with
that attitude. To me, it's established fact that documentation is part of the
product, and that if it's an afterthought, then the product is going to suffer
overall. If someone needs to learn that, I am happy to explain it in depth.
But I certainly do not need to defend such a position as if it were a new and
revolutionary idea. Writers and editors are worrying about their "value" only
because they are not GIVING their all to their companies and making the
products better. I am often embarrassed and ashamed when I hear STC whining
and whining.

Bonnie Granat
Granat Editorial Services
http://www.editors-writers.info