Re: credibility (longish but IMO worth reading)

Subject: Re: credibility (longish but IMO worth reading)
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 22:43:58 -0700 (PDT)

> I'm totally with you, Goober. I was sick to my
> stomach when I read that. (I'm
> catching up on magazines). Whine, whine, whine!

Right. I often reflect on the "we're not appreciated"
quasi-mantra we hear on this list and in our trade
publications. I just gon't get it. Do I luck out at my
jobs? I can't be that lucky, otherwise I woulda had a
winning lotter ticket years ago and wouldn't care. ;)

No, appreciation isn't handed out. You gotta earn it.
You earn it by being proactive and accomplishing
wonderful things both inside AND OUTSIDE of your
immediate function. Man, if I spent all my time tech
writing, I'd probably kill myself. No, I get involved
with other high priority/high visibility projects in
the company I work for. Sure, that puts me over my 40
hour quota, but honestly, not that much. The return is
much more valuable than those 5-10 *extra* hours I put
in every week. And, I make a rule not to work over 50
hours a week for family reasons (which does get broken
in extreme circumstances). But, by getting in 30
minutes to an hour earlier, the extra time at work is
invisible to my family, and to a degree to my
employer, which makes it look like I'm getting more
done in less time, which does look good. Of course, my
work day consists of work. True, I post here, but
usually that's during times when my machine is pegged
on a complex operation.

Manage your time and be proactive about adding value
within and outside of your assigned responsibilities.
That's what success in the corporate world is built
on. Not blanket appreciation.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://shopping.yahoo.com

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com