Re: Resume and Interview Advice

Subject: Re: Resume and Interview Advice
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:59:51 -0700

k k wrote:

"Personal
reasons" won't wash in this case, because if a
recruiter calls either company X or company Y, the
recruiter will probably find out why the writer really
left.
You're writing as though the actual words are the most important thing here. However, they're not.

A basic rule of successful interviewing is: never bad-mouth a former employer under any circumstances during the hiring process. However justified your comments, it makes you look vindictive and petty. Not only is that a poor image to project when trying to persuade people to hire you, but interviewers are likely to wonder what you would say about their company if you're hired and leave.

I'm not strongly inclined to defend "personal reasons," which I suggested off the top of my head, but the point is to give a discreet answer than indicates that you don't want to discuss the matter. Perhaps something like "it didn't work out" might be better, but the exact wording doesn't matter. The message that I was suggesting should be conveyed is that you are discreet and reticient about your employers. Interviewers may very well learn more about your reasons if they do a background check, but, if they do, that impression of discretion is only going to be stronger. They'll realize that you could have said more, and didn't.

Personally, I wouldn't use "I made a mistake," because in an interview I'm trying to sell myself. I know that I have imperfections, and I'm sure that interviewers may notice some of them, but I don't see why I should call attention to them. "I made a mistake" could be taken as lack of judgement.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Bright morning star a-rising,
New day's a-breaking in my soul."
- American Traditional

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com