Re: Technical Writing and the Business Perspective

Subject: Re: Technical Writing and the Business Perspective
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:44:48 -0700 (PDT)

> But statements such as this reinforce the notion
> that all we do is write docs.

Well, that was the context of the inquiry. But since
you're now changine the context of the discussion...
;)

> Documentation is inherent in the design of any
> product: the design itself
> communicates. A well-designed product with a bad
> manual is far, far superior
> to a badly designed product with a stellar manual.

I totally agree.

> How much market share would a company capture if
> their message is something
> along the lines of "Our product does at least
> everything our competitors do
> and it costs no more than our competitors, but its
> design means you won't
> have to spend extra money on training nor will your
> employees spend as much
> time calling technical support, so they will be more
> productive, quicker?"

Not much, to be honest. But it would capture some.

You're right, tech writers can cntribute more than
just docs. You can contribute to the UI, to the
training program, to support, to every aspect of your
business! That is why a business perspective is
CRITICAL for success. Without it, you're cheating
yourself out of opportunity for success and for
delivering quality.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://shopping.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com