Re: Seeking OpenOffice vs. FrameMaker Comparison

Subject: Re: Seeking OpenOffice vs. FrameMaker Comparison
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 13:45:13 -0800

jah -at- hunterpdt -dot- com wrote:

Would it be a fair comparison to replace Word with OpenOffice in the Word
vs. FrameMaker comparisons?
I'd put the issue this way: if you have a scale with FrameMaker on one end and MS Word on another, then OpenOffice.org is somewhere in the middle. Opinions probably differ about exactly where it belong on the scale.

Off the top of my head, some similarities between FrameMaker and OpenOffice.org:

- Both work best when you use styles strictly. OO's styles, however, are hierarchial.

- Both use floating paletts for styles. OOo's is more sophisticated, with more views, and can be use to modify and create styles.

- Both allow page layouts, but implement them differently. In FM, master pages are designed in a different view. In OOo, they're designed in the main view.

- Both have more robust numbering systems than MS Word. Fm's tend not to have little hiccups before coming right after editing, but neither corrupts. OOo places lists in separate styles, and tends to have more options.

- Both have true text frames. FM's are handier because they can be part of a page style.

- OOo has outlining capacities that FM lacks entirely.

- OOo has extensive database connectivity. FM has none.
= OOo allows complex mail merges and similar operations that are only available in FM with a plug-in.

- Both allow the storage of table designs, FM in table styles, and OOo in Autoformats.

- FM allows sideheads. In OOo, you can only approximate them with various work-arounds.

- In OOo, you can automatically assign a graphic to one side of a paragraph (using the numbering styles), but not above or below; in FM, you can add a graphic to the reference pages and have it automatically inserted above or below a paragraph, but not to one side.

- OOo cross-referencing requires more fiddling, and lacks the cross-reference formats available in FM (although you could record a few macros to compensate).

- OOo's tables of contents are harder to use than FM's, but may be just about as flexible once you learn them.

- OOo includes a concordance tool that gives some of the power of IXgen in FRM to users.

- Both allow large documents to be broken up safely: OOo with its master documents, and FM with its book files.

- OOo has a number of features that MS Word has, but FM lacks: they include notes, macro recording, and autopilots.
- The OOo word processor is tightly integrated with its drawing program, which is much more sophisticated than drawing capabilities in FM. In fact, the combination can be used to make OOo almost comparable to PageMaker in some respects (although ultimately, it fall short of PageMaker, I would say).

- OOo has multiple Undos.

- OOo allows more customiations of settings, such as default save formats, the displaying of graphics, and how security is handled.

I think that covers most of the basics. Funny thing, though: when I started writing this list, I would have said that OpenOffice.org was closer on the scale to MS Word than FrameMaker. Now,having written this list, I'd have to correct myself and say that OpenOffice.org is closer to FrameMaker than MS Word. In fact, it's much closer than I would have originally said.

Ultimately, I'm not sure which wins out. Both OpenOffice.org and FrameMaker have features that the other lacks. However, if I had to summarize the difference, I'd say that OpenOffice.org works more like a word processor while FrameMaker works more like a specialized layout program. Neither has the fine control of the high-end layout programs, but both are adequate for brochures and similar jobs.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Bright morning star a-rising,
New day's a-breaking in my soul."
- American Traditional

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com