Re: Seeking OpenOffice vs. FrameMaker Comparison

Subject: Re: Seeking OpenOffice vs. FrameMaker Comparison
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 13:49:15 -0800

Solveig Haugland wrote:

I just have a few things to add/emphasize after Bruce's excellent comparison of features. Frame is more about layout. You have much more control through master pages than you do in OOo. Frame's cross references, running headers and footers, and variables are far easier to deal with. And I've gone ten rounds with OOo's conditional text and have yet to make it work reliably.
Good additions. I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with conditional text in OOo - I was feeling a little dim-witted.

I also like Frame's
numbering better.

Do you mean having the style to restart the numbering? I miss that, too. Somehow, clicking a button to restart doesn't feel right to someone who uses styles as religiously as I do. But I like the fine control that OOo gives for the positioning of numbering and bullets; FrameMaker just doesn't have that.

BTW, I cross-posted my reply to the OOo User's list, and Sander Vesik replied suggesting that an analysis of what OOo lacks in desktop publishing tools might be useful for adding future features. If we can get more people joining in on the discussion, maybe some of those DTP tools will show up in OOo.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Bright morning star a-rising,
New day's a-breaking in my soul."
- American Traditional

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com