Re: Documenting the Ordering Process

Subject: Re: Documenting the Ordering Process
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:04:23 -0500

"Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote on 11/02/2003 02:27:03 PM:
> I don't think that's not necessarily the case in this situation.
> If "document the ordering process so it can be audited" is an
> accurate description of the mission objective, then the goal
> is not to document how things are, but rather how things are
> *supposed* to be, so that there's a document of the "correct
> process" to audit the real-life process against.

I have to STRONGLY disagree with the above statement. It may be the way most
companies treat documenting processes for ISO auditing but it goes completely
against the spirit of ISO and any other quality system. I'd argue that it's also
the reason so many processes fail to be implemented after being newly written,
the reason ISO is so hated by most regular workers, and the reason the ISO
process is such a sham in so many companies.

The object of QA, ISO, Six Sigma, or any other of these systems is to produce
the SAME quality consistently. To do so, you document all processes AS-IS. If
you then determine quality is sub-par, you modify the process and document and
quantify all changes. That way you can be capable of determining if the product
quality is improved.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com