Re: Offshore writers and editors

Subject: Re: Offshore writers and editors
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:15:09 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Byfield" <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
Cc: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: November 03, 2003 12:36 PM

> Quoting Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>:
>
> > Right, it's not the country by itself, Andrea. It's the claim that the
> > quality
> > is as good as that of native English speakers when that claim is patently
> > false. We don't normally have provenance on the bad writing we encounter.
> > We
> > do now.
>
> Careful. Frustration is understandable when we're unemployed or worried
about
> our jobs, but it's too easy to lead to scapegoating or worse. As evidence,
> notice that this comment has at least two fallacies.

I was referring to the example I received in the mail that had the claim that
the quality was as good as US editors. I was not leading up to scapegoating
anyone.

> In the first place, many offshore writers and editors are native English
> speakers. Many have grown up speaking English. Often as their first
language,
> and, if it's not, they're fluent in it. I know just enough to realize
there's a
> whole body of Indian literature written in English, much of it excellent -
even
> if most of us in North America are unaware of it - and that implies an
audience
> for it.

But those are obviously *not* the people I'm talking about. Everything I have
posted should have made that clear.

> In the second place, one example doesn't prove all offshore writers and
editors
> incompetent.

Would you mind not implying that I said things that I did not say?

Bonnie Granat
Granat Technical Editing and Writing
http://www.granatedit.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com