Re: Forehelp and Robohelp

Subject: Re: Forehelp and Robohelp
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 07:17:29 -0800 (PST)

--------------------------
Eisbruchs -at- aol -dot- com asks:
Is dumping Forehelp in favor of Robohelp a good idea?
--------------------------

While I thought ForeHelp was far better than RoboHelp, and I was bummed when I heard the product was no more, I must go with practical advice and say stop using it and switch to a different product while your bosses are willing to pay. It just makes good sense to stop using a product that is no longer being developed and has little support. As time goes on you'll just have more and more problems with compatibility and the like.

Now, the question of choosing RoboHelp depends on what your documentation needs are. That's something that only you can answer. I would suggest you:

1. decide what kind of documentation you need
2. decide what "features" will help you to produce that documentation
3. research _all_ products that claim to be able to produce the kind of docs you need and check for each feature from step 2 (IMHO, the best way to organize this is in a table that has the features you want on one axis and the products you're looking at on another)
4. choose the product that meets the most feature requirements

For feature requirements, you can include anything that you think is important. "Easy to use" or "clean code" or whatever. They should be the things you think you need to produce the documentation you want to produce.

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com