The ladder principle

Subject: The ladder principle
From: "Roger Shuttleworth" <RShuttleworth -at- visualplant -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:22:21 -0500

Hello All

I wonder if anyone can point me to resources that deal with technical
writer career/professional development. My company (a software company)
is investigating the "ladder" system advocated by Construx. In this
system an employee moves up the ladder to different levels of knowledge
and experience by achieving measurable goals (such as courses, books,
responsibilities, etc.). Each level carries its own compensation
package. This system is frequently applied to programmers, but does
anyone know of anything similar in the technical writing field? Or know
of lists of measurable goals or steps that would apply to technical
writing?

Thanks for your help.

Roger Shuttleworth

Documentation Team Lead

VisualPlant - enabling intelligent manufacturing
The Talbot Centre
140 Fullarton Street, 9th Floor
London, Ontario N6A 5P2

[519] 668-7336 x237