Re: Web file submission form security

Subject: Re: Web file submission form security
From: Isaac Rabinovitch <isaacr -at- mailsnare -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:08:00 -0800

Nothing to forgive -- you're asking a very interesting (and tricky) question.

The direct answer to your question describes the HTML that submits the file to the web server. Which, stripped of extraneous stuff, consists of these lines:

<form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="index.html" method="post">
<input type="file" name="userfile">
<input type="submit" value="process" class="button">
</form>

But you're really asking a bigger question: How do you know whether a web page is snooping in your computer? The answer does not involve looking out for pages that ask you to upload files, or to examine the code behind a suspicious web page. There's no code (or at least no official code) that allows web designers to upload arbitrary files. If there were, the web would be unusable. So no web browser supports this behavior by design. Sometimes they support it unintentionally, and that's a bug.

The question you need to ask is: Who do I trust? Before you install any program on your computer, you have to decide whether you trust whoever provided that software. If you don't trust the vendor of a web browser to not do stuff like that, you shouldn't use the web browser. (Or, if you're technically savvy, you can add your own safeguards.) And that goes for any software you download and install. That's the logic behind all those "Do you trust software from Jekyll/Hyde Productions?" dialogs you keep seeing.

Goldstein, Dan wrote:

Forgive my ignorance of code: On a site like the one below, how can I be
certain that the "Process" button uploads the file that I specified, as
opposed to a site deliberately uploading a different file with a standard
name in Windows?