RE: Help, and/ or Mentor needed

Subject: RE: Help, and/ or Mentor needed
From: "G. Abenhaim" <g -dot- abenhaim -at- nhc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:32:27 -0500

Hi R.,

I'm a Tech Writer in Montreal and my advice is:

1- Checkout the Montreal chapter of STC at www.stc-montreal.org for any tech
writing advice, skills, jobs etc. That way you can see what the demands are
out on the market and what tools you need to have to be a tech writer in
Montreal.

2- The Concordia certificate program is amazing for anyone to learn. It
covers mostly English Writing and Editing as a tech writer. I took it and
loved it. You can decide whether you like tech writing after this course
since the basics are covered there.

3- Take some books out of the library that covers the job as a tech writer.
One that I love and find easy to read it "The Complete Idiot's book to
Technical Writing". It explains what the tasks are, why you would be (or
wouldnt be) the perfect choice for you this career and also shows you the
steps into writing a "perfect" technical manual.

4-Just to let you know (but not scare you), tech writing is for certain
people. You have to be patient, organized, scheduled, and have interpersonal
skills. This is above all the tools and requirements. Each industry varies.
Because once you have projects to be done and deadlines to make, it can be
stressful at times. So do your research before you start changing careers.
Dont make a big mistake you will regret.

Hope my advice helps you in starting to see what a tech writer is or what we
do.
Enjoy!!,

Grace

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com