Re: Preposition, ending with (was Re: can you think of an example of 'click on' used in a grammatically incorrect way?)

Subject: Re: Preposition, ending with (was Re: can you think of an example of 'click on' used in a grammatically incorrect way?)
From: Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 08:17:11 +0100

Yeah, yeah, yeah... But you have to admit, "...depend on which button you click on" sounds pretty bad. Somebody else pointed out that "on" is actually an adverb here... Personally, I'm getting confused on.

David Brown wrote:

Chris Despopoulos wrote:

> The results you get depend on which button you click on. As we all
> know, ending with a preposition shoul be avoided because it's bad
> grammar to write with.

What's that quote? It's something about a preposition being a bad thing
with which a sentence to end. :)

I like this one:

"This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put."
-- Winston Churchill, responding to a civil servant who objected to his
ending of a sentence with a preposition in an official document

Richard

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com