Re: Coping with offshoring - a modest proposal for tech writers

Subject: Re: Coping with offshoring - a modest proposal for tech writers
From: k k <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 07:34:37 -0800 (PST)

> Perhaps because they perceive no added value when
> the remote worker
> is only a few miles away? Something romantic about
> being across an
> ocean?

I think it has a lot more to do with the unromantic
bottom line. You hire a contractor in a different
country and you have no liability for unemployment
taxes or health insurance coverage. And since the
outsourcing agency that pays the worker doesn't
provide either of those things, the cost per head is
lower. You hire an American, even if he is
telecommuting, and because of the labor laws you still
have costs you don't have with the offshore worker.

> Are you willing to work for the same wages that
> they can get
> offshore?

Not unless there is literally no choice between that
on one hand, and starvation under a bridge on the
other. I did that for too many years. It took me
more than a decade to find jobs that pay enough for me
to do something more than just barely scrape by.
Before I'll go back to those kinds of wages I'll
become a used car salesman or some other type of
criminal.
:-)

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com