Re: re Copyright (was What's the definition of a published author)

Subject: Re: re Copyright (was What's the definition of a published author)
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:15:03 -0800 (PST)

Isn't it *enticing* to take cheap shots at America? I freely admit we have much that can bear criticism--but are you *sure* the copyrights are matters of American law?

First, note that the "events" were entirely fictional, as were the places and characters--all entitled to copyright protection.

IIRC, the film was an international venture--but the copyrights involved are the property of the J.R.R. Tolkien Trust--a British entity. In fact, the trust (in the person of Christopher Tolkien) filed suit in 2002 against a writer and publisher because of breach of copyright. See http://www.canoe.ca/JamLordOfTheRings/jun19_settlement-ap.html.

It seems we don't have a corner on lawyers or enforcement of copyright!

David

-----Original Message from nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il-----

"BTW, have you seen the fine print on the Lord of the Rings
posters that claims the names of the characters, places, and
events in the story as trademarks? Names of events as
trademarks. Ah, to be a lawyer in America... "

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com