Liars, damn liars, and statisticians (was Re: Dictionary)

Subject: Liars, damn liars, and statisticians (was Re: Dictionary)
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:42:46 -0500

Oja, W. Kelly wrote:

I don't want to go off topic here, but I must. Isaac said he prefers
Amazon over B&N citing bad experiences with customer support. I have
experienced the opposite, and after my last tussle with Amazon a few
months ago, I will never purchase from Amazon again.
I do not usually purchase any tech books from B&N, I prefer books
24x7(netbooks).

Y'know, for people who claim to have some familiarity with disciplines rooted in mathematics, we're a hard lot to satisfy. One or two screw-ups and we're ready to trash a company publicly. Yet we just as publicly bemoan the inefficiencies, misunderstandings, and other human failings--in the companies _we_ work for--that lead to customer dissatisfaction.

Let's try to remember (in the spirit of the season if for no other reason), that companies are companies of people, subject to the same fallibilities that we exhibit ourselves. Mistakes happen. The bigger and more successful the company (due at least in part to its having reasonable quality control procedures in place), the more mistakes are going to happen, even as the _rate_ of errors drops. By the same line of reasoning, the bigger and more successful the company, the higher the likelihood that one individual will suffer from two successive mistakes--even three--and then go out and try to organize a boycott.

Don't go there. It's not becoming a technically savvy person.

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com