OT: poop deck

Subject: OT: poop deck
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 07:03:56 -0800 (PST)

Well, it's the raised structure on the deck of a ship
that clears the usual height of waves that might break
across the deck (the poop "zone"). (I've been boating
since a kid and I married into a sailing/yaghting
family.)

But, being inquisitive, I tried googling for it as
well. I had to laugh at one definition I found:
"poop deck
noun
(Nautical) the deck on top of the poop"
-- www.wordreference.com

But I've always wondered what the origin of "poop"
was...

Turns out it's derived from the French term "pupe",
which was derived from the Latin "puppis", which
literally means "stern". Neat.

"Puppis is actually part of Argo Navis, the ship of
the Argonauts. Puppis is the stern of the ship that
was built by the Argos for Jason. Fifty Argonauts
aided by Pallas Athene, who acted as the prow of the
ship, guided the ship from Iolchis in Thessaly to Aea
in Colchis (now Mingrelia). They sought the golden
fleece, when the voyage was over Athene placed the
boat in the sky, curiously without a bow. (Or at least
it is never drawn with one)."
-- www.astronomical.org

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://photos.yahoo.com/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com