Re: phone interviews

Subject: Re: phone interviews
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 12:58:49 -0800

Andrew Plato wrote:

Where did you get the idea that job interviews are fair? They aren't. Not even
a little bit. As the job candidate you are at a supreme disadvantage.
True, job interviews are not fair. You can be expected to be probed in all sorts of ways, and subject to all sorts of hidden agendas.

However, I disagree strongly that the job candidate is at a disadvantage. An interview is a time for mutal sizing up of the employer and employee. There is no reason why you can't do your own probing and ask questions that determine if you want to work for the company. Obviously, you need to exercise discretion, since you don't want an employer that you might be interested in to reject you because he or she has taken needless offence, but you are far from powerless. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the only way that you are at an extreme disadvantage is if you enter an interview with the belief that the power lies entirely on the other side.

Just as employers don't want to waste time with people who make unsuitable employees, if you've been around long enough, there's no reason why you shouldn't use the interview to weed out unsuitable employers. I know I've lost the chance of jobs because I was judged unsuitable, or because of the whisper of enemies, or for any of a dozen trivial reasons, but I've also turned down jobs because I didn't like the glimpses of the company I saw in the interview. I even walked out of one interview, saying as politely as I could, "I'm sorry. I don't think this is a good match." No great matter either way; each side has the right to test the other, and to accept or reject according to whatever premises they care to use.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"From the hag and the hungry goblin
That into rags would rend you,
And the spirits that stand by the naked man
In the book of moons defend you."
-Traditioal, 17th Century

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com