Re: phone interviews

Subject: Re: phone interviews
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:34:46 -0800 (PST)

> So let's add some standard advice for phone interviews:
>
> Always ask first thing: "Is there anybody else listening to this
> conversation?"

Don't be surprised when the answer is "none of your business." That is one of
those questions that makes you sound really paranoid and/or obsessed with
fairness. And people obsessed with fairness often are the least qualified
people to do a job, as they focus an overwhelming amount of energy on who is
getting what and how they are being wronged. If they spent that energy on
actually working hard, they wouldn't have to worry about fairness. They would
be blazing the path, getting everything they wanted.

> I would go further and say that there may be some ethical issues
> involved here. The true conditions and the full agenda of the
> interview weren't being disclosed.

Where did you get the idea that job interviews are fair? They aren't. Not even
a little bit. As the job candidate you are at a supreme disadvantage.

The purpose of an interview is to determine if a candidate is suitable for the
job and the team. Its a testing/evaluation process. It is inherently unfair.
If this bothers you or you find it unethical or evil, you're completely free to
start your own business and run it EXACTLY the way you feel a business should
be run.

Trust me, after you have wasted money...your own, hard earned money... on
people who lie in their job interviews, you'll want to use every means in your
power to determine what a person is REALLY like before you hire them.

Andrew Plato

http://photos.yahoo.com/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com