Re: Examining proficiency of job applicants in FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Examining proficiency of job applicants in FrameMaker
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 12:26:37 -0800 (PST)

"Caroline Tabach" <> wrote in message news:224011 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> In the near future our company will be looking for a temporary worker
> (sub contractor).
> Our documentation is in FrameMaker (6, not structured).
> I have been asked to formulate an exam/test for candidates.
> The test has to test 2 things:
> 1. skills in FrameMaker.
> 2. Technical writing ability
> I would combine the both (ask them to write something in Frame)

ANYBODY can learn how to use a tool effectively. Tests for tool skills have
little to no bearing on the aptitude of a person.

I'd suggest skipping the tool test and focus on interviewing the person. Find
out what the person is like. I have had exceptional results by hiring people
who were seriously underskilled for a job, but were motivated and eager to
work.

You can always teach people how to write or how to use FrameMaker. That's easy.
You cannot teach somebody how to be responsible, motivated, or creative.

In my opinion: motivation, attitude, and character are more important than tool
or writing skills. I've had great success with that hiring philosophy.

Andrew Plato