current rates for copyediting and translation?

Subject: current rates for copyediting and translation?
From: j_goldstein -at- juno -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 06:59:58 -0700

I did a quick search for this (I *know* there are topics for this out
there) but didn't find what I was wanted.

Can anyone provide a ballpark estimate of current rates for book copy
editing and current rates for translation? An overseas relative of mine is
bidding on copy editing and translation projects and she's trying to come
up with a competitive price based on the fact that bids from
English-speaking countries will be her competition (she's in Israel). I
think she's looking for rates per page or per 1500 characters or something
like that (yeah, I know, not much to go on, but those are all the details
I have).

thanks for any help!

Joan Goldstein