Re: Writing Costs Worldwide

Subject: Re: Writing Costs Worldwide
From: "Jon Leer" <jleer -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:46:17 -0500

"Goober Writer" <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote in message
news:225150 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> There are plenty of salary survey results on the web.

Where are they showing other country pay rates for technical writers beside
the STC US/Canada surveys?

> Not to be picky, but your question is too broad...

Let me narrow it:
* Senior technical writer contractor writing user documentation
* Senior technical writer contractor writing administrator documentation

> like asking what the price of a cup of coffee is in
> various countries.
>
> I know senior technical writers in my home state (more
> granular than country) that make <$35k and others who
> make >$60k. Also, in my hometown (more granular than
> state), I can get a cup of coffee for $0.50 as well as
> the same size cup for >$5.00.

Sure, that's what market research is all about. No-name coffee $.50/cup at
corner diner with 60% of market, and $5/cup at StarBucks with 30% of market,
(10% other).

Any independent technical writer must be aware of the competition - now not
only in the US but elsewhere.

Jon