Trademark Possessives

Subject: Trademark Possessives
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:07:07 -0500

Hi, guys...I've always gone on the premise that you cannot make a
trademarked term a possessive. This was corroborated to me by the SUN
Style Guide. I quote:

"Never use trademarks in the possessive or the plural." (page 62)

Even in the MMOS, page 239, it says "Because legally a trademark is an
adjective, Microsoft trademarks should not be used as verbs or nouns or
in the possessive or plural form."

So, I always thought it was correct to write "Microsoft's", but not
"Microsoft Word's"

With me so far??

I thought so, until I came across numerous instances on the Microsoft
web site where it states that "Microsoft is a trademark", yet on the
same page, uses "Microsoft's".

Am I right on this and their web site writers don't follow it correctly,
or is there some fine point I'm missing?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation
http://www.isogon.com