Word XP - page breaks causing numbering problems

Subject: Word XP - page breaks causing numbering problems
From: Maritza van den Heuvel <MaritzaV -at- stt-global -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:34:13 +0200

Hi everyone - I've searched the archives for all posts on Word
troubleshooting, and nothing about my problem seems to have come up before.

The issue is this: I have a Word template (four of them, actually), which
have been designed to enable end-users to export software simulations as
Word documents. The templates use a combination of fixed text, extensive
styles and custom tags where data from our application is inserted at
run-time. I've had a feature request to add page breaks after every frame
and its task list (basically an application screen with all the actions to
be performed on it) to improve readability. I did that, and readability is
better, indeed. But there's a but.

The page breaks are causing numbering problems. The heading style on Frame 1
comes out perfectly, but in all subsequent Frames (all assigned the same
Heading 2 style), a carriage return is inserted after the number and indent,
and the actual heading text starts at the left margin of the next line! Take
out the page break, and the problem goes away. I've tweaked and played
around, but no go.

Anyone have any ideas? All help will be greatly appreciated.

***
Maritza van den Heuvel
Technical Writer

t : +27 (0) 21 799 4236
m : +27 (0) 72 437 1210
e : maritzav -at- stt-global -dot- com

Software Training Technology (Pty) Limited
Smartsource House
Regent Square
Doncaster Road
Kenilworth 7708
Cape Town, South Africa

t : +27 (0) 21 799 4230
f : +27 (0) 21 762 5844
http://www.stt-global.com

The contents of this e-mail and any accompanying documentation are
confidential and any use thereof, in whatever form, by anyone other than the
addressee for whom it is intended, is strictly prohibited. Views and
opinions are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being that of STT.